3 Simple Rules for ERP Success
The job of any ERP software provider is to help every customer simplify their manufacturing. Global Shop Solutions has been doing just that -- simplifying your manufacturing -- for thousands of manufacturers in nearly 25 countries and 20 industries for over 40 years. Here, the company reveals the 3 rules for ERP success.
According to Global Shop Solutions, three simple rules will put your shop on the path to ERP success, using the entire system from quote to cash for your entire business. Those rules are:
- Know what you have and use it.
- How you start matters.
- It takes a village.
The answer is actually pretty simple. A large number of our new customers join the Global Shop Solutions family, and after implementation, typically let us know the biggest difference is they use and are successful with the entire system. Every department within their manufacturing business has been impacted by the ERP system, not just one. And that adds up to one beautiful thing -- return on your ERP investment (and psst, more profits).
Know What You Have and Use It
The most successful ERP software customers are aware -- they pay attention. They read the emails, read the newsletter, participate in an assortment of training events offered to them through year, and as a result, they know all the great software modules that are available to them (with the vast majority included in their original purchase).
What software modules do Global Shop Solutions customers own? A lot. ERP success starts with knowing what is available and using all the modules, not just a few, to manage your business. They want data about their business that doesn't exist, or they want truthful data instead of a best guess. You can't manage what you don't know. In order to get the data, you need to know what software is available for you to use and then you must use it:
- Shop Management Manage your shop in real-time with accurate data.
- Planning and Scheduling Improve customer satisfaction by keeping all your projects on task and on time.
- CRM Efficiently manage business relationships and effectively interact with prospects and customers.
- Inventory Reduce manufacturing costs through simplified material tracking.
- Sales Increase your sales conversion rates with improved efficiency and leaner processes.
- Accounting Manage business finances easier with a system integrated with inventory, purchasing and sales.
- Quality Control Customizable codes and reporting gives quality management the data they need.
- Shop Floor Data Collection Increase productivity with accurate time tracking on the shop floor.
- Preventative Maintenance Provide visibility and full documentation of scheduled preventative maintenance.
- Project Management Meet your budget and deadlines with tools designed for a winning team.
- GAB -- Customizable ERP Create custom applications, enhance screens and automate tasks.
- Document & Training Simplify process documentation tracking and maintain manufacturing quality certifications.
- Label Printing Quickly print all your inventory bin labels, mailing labels and shipping labels. EDI Meet the technology expectations of customers with single-entry data.
- eCommerce Increase efficiency and accuracy by conducting transactions online safely and securely.
- Nesting Interface Reduce shop waste, use material effectively, and save time with real-time machine data.
- Product Configurator Enable prospects, customers, or employees to configure products based on predefined options.
- CAD Interface Seamless integration with popular design packages such as AutoCAD®, SolidWorks®, Solid Edge™, Inventor®, and more.
- Mobile CRM Manage your business contacts and critical business data from any device.
- Paperless Software Cover your entire shop floor and field personnel and be assured of fast, accurate, online data.
- Business Intelligence Monitor your manufacturing health and make better decisions with accurate data.
- Version Management Group-based security to manage document version and permissions.
- Document Control Allows you to attach all types of files to transactions within the ERP system.
- Company Messaging Automatically inform customers, vendors or employees when selected events occur.
- Key Performance Indicators -- KPIs Compile manufacturing best practice key performance indicators.
- Websites for Manufacturers Get a great looking website and see your business across the Internet.
- Shop Floor Display: True View View the latest work orders being completed on work centers as it happens in real-time.
- Job Costing Accounting: FLOOOM Breakdown your finished goods costs to determine individual costing components.
- RFID Use the latest technology to make routine tasks like clocking in and out uncomplicated.
How You Start Matters
Change isn't easy. A manufacturer's success or failure with ERP can typically be traced back to two questions -- did they pick the right software for their needs and/or did the entire company buy in during implementation?
No one knows your business better than you do and the team working with you through your implementation should be experts in software and manufacturing. Your implementation team should have the same passion for your success as your team does.
The goal of an implementation is not to simply go live, but to accomplish the following 5 goals:
- Accurate Inventory
- Accurate Costing
- Accurate Financial Statement with Operations Data
- Access to Operations Data in Real-Time
- Simplified Manufacturing
It Takes a Village
The right people, the right process, and the best software -- each plays its part. Imagine a body builder that eats right, trains every day, but never lifts with his left arm. Strange, right? He wouldn't be able to compete as effectively and would struggle to win competitions. Now imagine a manufacturer where every department is trained and using the ERP system but Quality. That manufacturer wouldn't be able to compete effectively and would struggle to retain existing business and win new business.
Manufacturers that run ERP successfully will all tell you one thing -- it takes a village. Everyone has to do their part. Each part of your business has to be committed and trained. ERP success starts with a cultural shift at every level to know and use the system -- President, CEO, CIO, CFO, Executive, Management, Shop Floor, and Administration. If one person decides it is too difficult, frustrating, or not important to be accurate it can sink the success. Well-trained users will always deliver better results for any software. That is why Global Shop Solutions takes training seriously. So serious in fact that we started our own school -- Global Shop Solutions University, which has four main pillars of education:
- ERP Boot Camp Go from quote to cash and learn all the skills you need to use our software and improve your business. This face-to-face, classroom style training is free and available to all Global Shop Solutions users at our global headquarters.
- Advanced User Training In-depth look at real world use cases by role in your manufacturing business. This face-to-face, classroom style training is low cost and intended for the user looking to become exceptional in their role.
- Power Up Your ERP Learn what is new and available to you from our chief trainer and executives including CEO Dusty Alexander. These meetings take place online and in-person and include real world examples from our most successful customers.
- Friday Features The one thing every Global Shop Solutions user should do each week is join Friday Features. This weekly online training is free to all customers and teaches you something new in the system, something core in the system, and features a case study from a successful customer.
Want more information? Click below.
Global Shop Solutions